Sunday, January 30, 2011

stress as a child!

As a child growing up, I had to deal with being overwieght.  It was so hard going to school everyday and knowing that you were going to get picked on because you were bigger then everyone else in the classroom.  This went on for my entire school career.  It was very hard to deal with everyday but I got through it.  Somedays I do not konw how, but I did.  I did end up becoming a cheerleader and a basketball player in high school.  It was my true passion and got made fun of all the time, but I continued in the sports for two years.  Until I let it all get the best of me and quit everything.  To this day I still regret giving in and leting them win! But I can only grow from this experience and try to become a better and more confident person. 

I am not looking at other countries for because I feel that we as Americans have a big problem with students in our school system getting picked on for any reason.  I think that it is getting out of control because children are taking there lives because of it.  That is truly said and the problem needs to be addressed and find a way to fix it and help these students! According to abc news in 2010 in America's schools, with at least 14 students committing suicide in the past year alone. This is sad!

3 comments:

  1. HI Michelle,

    I agree it is very sad how mean kids can be. I have noticed that even from a very young age (I have seen as young as 3) children find ways to seclude other child even for the smallest things. At one of my previous job I had a little girl in my class who I always considered the ring leader. She was the "cool" kid who would all the girls wanted to play with, but even from the young age of 3 I noticed the caddy behavior began. Some days she wouldn't let kids play with her if she didn't like the clothes thy had on, or the way their hair was styled. This is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed not only from a young age within the schools but from a home perspective as well. It would be interesting to see if any other countries have as big of a bullying issue as we do here in the United States. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michelle,

    I can imagine the agony you felt during your school years being overweight. During my schools years, I was known as the quiet unpopular girl. I kept my head up and accepted that I would never be mis-popularity. Today, I think this is just a lesson for me to learn that being popular helped me to become a better person. In the school where I work at, children are still labeled and called names. I am happy to know that bullying other children is against the law, and children that are reported will be suspended from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with understanding how we are raising children that can be so mean. I too see it in my classroom of 3-5 year olds. It goes beyond the "you can't come to my party because you won't give me that toy" that children do. It is picking out what is percieved to be a flaw in the other child, pointing it out to others and purposfully making the other child feel bad. I do not allow children in my class to be mean. We talk about what it is to be mean and hurtful and I try to put a stop to it immediately. Unfortunately I can not control what goes on outside my classroom. Good for you for overcoming it and moving on!!

    ReplyDelete